Sunday, May 9, 2010

Emulation: Connections and Misconnections


For this project I emulated Duane Michals' Stage Narrative Film Still Sequence "Chance Meeting"

Here are my photographs with the statement below:





Connections and Misconnections

I chose to emulate Duane Michals’ staged narrative sequence piece “Chance Meeting.” Michals presents a six photograph series resembling film stills in which two men, presumably strangers, dressed in suits walk past each other in a backend alley. Both men recognize each other’s presence, but appear unsure as to how to interact with one another.

For my project, I intended to explore the concepts of connections and misconnections and crossing paths within a collegiate setting. Specifically, I wanted to explore how students located on a small campus interact with people whom they see regularly or daily, but don’t actually know. It happens quite often that two people, whose relationship may not extend past a shared class or a moment on the decafe line, walk past each other. These two people may recognize each other from some previous encounter, but when they cross paths with one another how do they choose to interact. I am curious to see and understand how two people in such a frequent and familiar scenario choose to comport themselves. “Do I say hi at all?” “At what point to do I say hi?” “Do I wait for the other person to say hi first before I do?” “What happens if I say hi and the other person does not notice?” These are all questions that are commonly posed by those within such a circumstance, and which in one way or another inform their actions. This piece aims to raise these questions and explore the manner in which people interact within this familiar but yet uncomfortable setting. In some instances a connection is made between those crossing paths and in others this is not the case.

Thanks to Gabriel Pollack and Samuel "Shmeel City" Lawrence.


No comments:

Post a Comment